Lasagne Tradizionale may take some time to prepare but it’s well worth the effort! This recipe serves 6 and you’ll likely find yourself using it more than once.
- 1 9” x 13” (23 x 33 cm) glass oven proof baking dish
- Cheese grater
- Chef’s knife and cutting board
- Large pot or stockpot
- Large saucepan
- Small saucepan
- Rubber spatula
- Wire whisk
- Wooden spoon
- Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 26-ounce (454 g) package lasagna pasta or pasta sheets, store bought
- 4-ounces (120 g) grated parmesan cheese
- 4-ounces (120 g) shredded Monterey cheese
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 pound (450 g) lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) of tomato paste
- ¼ (60 ml) red wine
- 1 (16 ounce) or (450 g) can of chopped tomato
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) Herbes de Provence or Italian Seasoning blend
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (85 g) butter
- 1/3 cup (85 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) warm milk
*Garnish with Julienne basil
Preheat oven to 350°F or 175°C.
To soften lasagna, bring a large pot of salted water and oil to a boil.
Add pasta 2 to 3 at a time and stir.
Return to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or until lasagna sheets are soft.
Remove from water and lay on wax paper or aluminum foil to avoid stickiness.
For meat sauce, in a saucepan over medium heat, warm oil and sauté onions for 5 minutes or until translucent.
Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add meat and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until meat begins to brown.
Stir in tomato paste and deglaze with wine.
Add chopped tomatoes, water, sugar and herbs and mix well.
Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
For white sauce, in a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and whisk in four, nutmeg and salt.
Cook roux for 2 minutes (do not brown) then slowly incorporate milk, stirring constantly for 5 to 6 minutes or until smoothed and thickened.
Mix cheese in a small glass or stainless steel bowl.
To build lasagna, pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of meat sauce in a 9” x “13 pan, top with a layer of pasta (lengthwise) a layer of white sauce, a layer of meat sauce and sprinkle with cheese mix.
Repeat twice ending with cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes and serve in warmed plates, garnished with julienned basil.
Enjoy with your favorite Chianti.
This recipe was shared by Royal Caribbean.