September 7 is Independence Day in Brazil. What better way to celebrate than to enjoy one of the many delicious foods that Brazil is famous for? These warm and tasty cheese puffs make for a delicious appetizer that can be savored any day of the year.
Yields: 20 puffs
2 cups tapioca flour*
1 cup milk (I use 2%)
1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
*Tapioca Flour can be found at specialty markets such as Whole Foods or Asian markets and is also called manioc starch or tapioca starch.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In the mean time bring the milk, salt, and butter to a boil in a sauce pan while constantly stirring mixture.
3. Once boiling remove the mixture of milk, salt and butter from heat.
4. Slowly add tapioca flour, stirring constantly until thoroughly mixed
5. Add the cheese and eggs to mixture
6. Mix until smooth
7. Fill each mini muffin cup all the way up
8. Bake until golden brown, usually about 20 minutes. Eat while hot.
Cooked puffs can be stored, in the fridge as long as it’s kept covered and then warmed up on a low setting in a toaster oven.