by Tuere Randall
Make sure you start off your wedding reception on the right note with these visually stunning and tasty appetizers. Tropical fruit flavors guest star in these three recipes that we have chosen for you from around the web.
Crab Salad in Crisp Wonton Cups
recipe via www.towntalk.com
For the wonton cups
• Cooking spray
• 18 wonton wrappers, thawed if frozen
• 2 tsps. canola oil
• ¼ tsp. salt
For the dressing
• 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
• 1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
• 2 Tbs. olive oil
For the salad
• ½ pound lump crabmeat, picked for shells
• 1 stalk celery, finely diced (¼ cup)
• ½ cup peeled and finely diced ripe mango
• ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions (white and green parts)
• 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
To make the wonton cups, brush both sides of the wonton wrappers with the canola oil and gently press each wrapper into a mini-muffin tin so it forms a cup shape. Sprinkle with the salt and bake until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool cups and remove from the tin. To make the dressing, whisk together the lime juice and zest, the salt, black pepper and red pepper. Add the olive oil and whisk until well combined. To make the salad, in a medium bowl, gently toss together the crab meat, celery, mango, scallions and cilantro. Add the dressing and combine. Fill each cup with the crab salad and serve immediately.
Yield: 18 wonton cups (3 wonton cups per serving)
Per serving: 170 calories, 17g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 7g fat (1g saturated), 1g fiber, 32mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium
Cucumber Rolled Avocado Appetizer
Recipe via www.pamz.com
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 mimuntes
Yields: 4 servings
4 ripe avocados, diced into half inch cubes
* 1 small bulb of fennel, core removed and thinly sliced
* 1 green apple, thinly sliced
* 5 slices of bacon
* ½ lemon, juiced
* 1 cucumber, sliced longways
1. Pan fry bacon until crisp, let cool and break into small pieces.
2. Combine avocados, apple, bacon and fennel (to taste) in a bowl.
3. Add a pinch of salt, basil oil and the lemon juice to the bowl and mix carefully.
4. Create a circle with the cucumber on your serving plate and fill with the avocado mixture.
5. Garnish with fennel tops and drizzle with basil oil.
Pineapple Shrimp In Endive Leaves Recipe
recipe via endiveblog.wordpress.com
1/2 pound cooked, peeled shrimp, tails removed
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
2 1/2 cups diced pineapple (from about 1/2 fresh pineapple)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 heads endive, separated into individual leaves
Chop shrimp and place in a large bowl. Add cucumber, pineapple, cilantro and lime juice and stir to combine. Arrange endive leaves on a serving platter. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of shrimp mixture into each endive leaf and serve.